Sunday, December 21, 2008

skylines and bylines

Atlanta doesn't really have much of a skyline, which used to bother my Emory classmates who came from the "big city." There's a moment when you're getting on Freedom Parkway, which leads to the interstates, and downtown kind of unfolds before you in a way that makes you think there's a skyline. But that's about it.

Today's Picture of the Day is my own personal skyline. I don't really know what any of the buildings are, other than the well-marked W, and this isn't downtown Atlanta, it's Midtown. I don't know if that matters or not. But anyways, I drive by this scene every morning on the way to work. The buildings that make a skyline over Piedmont Park. It's a beautiful scene with the sky is gray and cloudy, and it's a beautiful scene when the buildings sparkle against a clear blue sky. This picture was taken just as the sun began to set today.


It's a scene that reminds me that I live in a city, even though the place I live is more neighborhoody. And even though I'm happy to live in a city, I've never had to go to any of those buildings down there, and that kinda makes me happy too. I want to be close enough to touch a skyline, but not so close that I have to deal with the hassle. If that makes sense.

When you're driving by, you don't notice all the power lines.

No comments: