Saturday, December 13, 2008

get to know my fridge, and get to know me

Sometimes in magazines or on television you'll see things where celebrities open up their fridge to show the common folk what's inside. Unfortunately there's nothing inside my fridge right now except bottled water and Diet Dr. Pepper and spray butter. So today's Picture of the Day is the OUTSIDE of the fridge.


Okay, if you start in the upper left corner, there's an Anne of Green Gables magnet that I got in Canada. There's also a Mountie near the bottom that is also from our neighbor to the north.

Also up there is one of the magnets I bought in New York City. When I was visiting my friend Sarah in NYC, I was trying to decide between all these magnets. I was going to get like 5, but she told me not to become a crazy magnet lady. So I only got 4, which you'll see scattered all over the refrigerator, including the Staten Island Ferry and the Statue of Liberty. Well, and also I got a pack of "M" buttons at the Metropolitan Museum of Art which you'll see in various places over the fridge.

Also in various places over the fridge are a set of little Seattle magnets, which my old coworkers gave me before I left Seattle. Other magnets from my time in Washington include some a cut-out of the state with some apples, magnets of ferry boats, a ton of pictures this ugly road in downtown Seattle, and a magnet and a bumper sticker from Edmonds, Washington, a town I really like the sound of for some reason.

There are a few Oregon things on there as well -- a magnet celebrating pioneers on the Oregon trail, a postcard and sticker from Powell's, and one thing that got cut off: a magnet that looks like a pack of cheese from Tillamook. Where they make a lot of cheese.

Other states in the western U.S. are represented as well: you might glimpse the Mormon Temple from Salt Lake City, some M&M's hanging out in Las Vegas, a Hoover Dam magnet and a magnet from Winslow Arizona, a place where you can stand on a corner, if you're into the Eagles.

One last trip is very well represented on the fridge -- when I went to Germany a few years ago to visit my friend Luke. There's a cuckoo clock, a beer stein, Nefertiti, a Checkpoint Charlie sign, and a Hummel from Hamburg. It's kinda cut off in the picture, but Luke and I walked all over Hamburg to find a small Hummel souvenir because I liked those little Hummels so much. That was a hard-won magnet.

I guess we're done with the main subgroups of magnets, so here's a random listing of things that are left:
--A Pope Benedict 23 magnet that I found in a dollar store! The best dollar store purchase ever in history!
--A sticker from Maine, cause Maine and I have the same initials.
--Two Gone With the Wind ornaments
--A magnet of Michael Scott from my brother, who is Michael Scott in real life.
--A painting of a pineapple that my uncle gave me for Christmas one year as a table gift.
--Ticket stubs
--Peter Rabbit magnets
--Shout-outs to Barack Obama
--Yoga studio schedule
--Emory frog
--National Institutes of Health mouse
--A save-the-date magnet for my cousin Mary Henry's wedding
--A magnet commemorating the time that Thomas Jefferson told John Adams that he couldn't live without books.

Well, you know what they always say. The refrigerator is a window into a person's soul. So I hope you all feel you know me a little better now.

No comments: