Sunday, December 21, 2008

This Week in History: Dec 21-27

I settled down with a cup of coffee and a bagel to write this week's look back in history. I was in a great mood. But as you scroll through the dates, Wikipedia tells you how many days are left in the year, and there are so few of them left that I started getting more and more depressed and overwhelmed. Also, while I was writing, the sun started moving so that now it's right in my eyes. Now I'm in a bad mood. Bah humbug. Enjoy these historical events from the week ahead.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 21
There's no way around it. The week starts off weird. The best I can do in terms of a silver lining is tell you that the first crossword was printed today. Otherwise, you must reconcile that it's the birthday of Joseph Stalin and Andy Dick. Perhaps you will be heartened by the fact that it's also Ray Romano's birthday, but he doesn't really do it for me.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 22
On this day in 1912, Lady Bird Johnson was born. I feel compelled to tell you that her real name is Claudia, because that seems like it would be a great pub trivia question. And now you will know the answer.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 23
I can't find anything on this day interesting enough for me to write about. Maybe everyone was too busy finishing their Christmas shopping to give birth to anyone interesting or to have any real impact on world history.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 24
On this day in 1927, writer Mary Higgins Clark was born, and I'd like to give a shout-out to her, because I feel that she was the first adult author I was really cognizant of. After graduating from things like The Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew's, I spent many a summer of my young life being enthralled by a Mary Higgins Clark book.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 25
As long as we're saluting heroes of my childhood--any self-respecting Parrothead knows that today is the birthday of Jimmy Buffett, turning the big 62 today. Unfortunately, "A Pirate Looks at 62" doesn't have quite the same ring. Also sharing a special day with Jesus Christ (observed) are Sir Isaac Newton, Clara Barton, Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Mandrell, Sissy Spacek, Karl Rove, Annie Lennox, Shane MacGowan and Miley Cyrus.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 26
Did you stop after reading that last entry and go, hey, wasn't Miley Cyrus's birthday back in November? If so….that is sick.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: DECEMBER 27
If you like milk, then pour a little out today for your homey Louis Pasteur, born this day in 1822.

No comments: