Sunday, December 28, 2008

I forgot January 3!!!

Oh crap. Right after I posted that last entry I realized that I had left January 3rd off, which is the real end of this week. But then I realized that leaving that date off provided me with something of an opportunity. See, after this coming January 3, the date will be forever remembered as the day that my cousin Mary Henry got married to Brad; faithful readers of the blog will remember that last year around this time, there was a whole week dedicated to Mary Henry and Brad as they provided me with a list of questions I could answer to rack up more blog entries. Well, it seems they’ve done it again, because by leaving off January 3 in the last post, I have the opportunity to give it more attention, and also, a separate entry. Even when they’re not even trying, Brad and Mary Henry manage to help me reach my blog goals.

So let’s take a look back at January 3’s history, to determine if it is an auspicious date for marriage.

Notable Events occurring this day:
1496: Leonard da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: Even geniuses fail, so don’t give up on the marriage if one time you have a fight.

1925: Benito Mussolini announces he’s taking dictatorial powers over Italy
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: No one should act like a dictator in marriage, because dictatorships are generally not well-remembered.

1953: Frances Bolton and her son, Oliver, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: Teach your children well, as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young would say.

1962: Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: See above re: dictators. Also, don’t become communist.

Notable births occurring this day:
1892: J.R.R. Tolkien
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: Not all those who wander are lost. But if you do think your spouse is lost, you should probably go look for them since you're sorta responsible for them now. Also, if you don't, you might be a suspect in the disappearance.

1945: Stephen Stills
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: I would just like to say that you know how above, I wrote that you should “teach your children well”? I wrote that BEFORE I EVEN KNEW THAT TODAY WAS STEPHEN STILLS’ BIRTHDAY, WHICH HAS GOTTA BE SOME KIND OF GOOD SIGN FOR BRAD AND MARY HENRY.

1956: Mel Gibson
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: You shouldn’t abandon the Episcopal church to follow any weird offshoots of Catholicism.

Notable deaths occurring this day:
1903: Alois Hitler, father of Adolf Hitler
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: What is it with you guys and dictators??

2002: Freddy Heineken
What this means for Brad and Mary Henry: Drink Dutch beer whenever possible.

Overall, it seems like Brad and Mary Henry will really be able to claim this day as their own, because not too many significant historic things happened. I approve it as a good choice.

No comments: