Monday, December 22, 2008

welcome to the working week

Today's Picture of the Day is my view for at least 8 hours a day--the view from my cubicle at work.

Okay, so let me tell you a little about what you're seeing here. Obviously, there's my computer, where I work on my brilliant little ideas. Now, to the left. My left. Next to the computer you will see a cup of office coffee mixed with hot cocoa mix AND water, because that's how I roll. Two beverages. At afternoon the coffee turns into soda.

I have a Peanuts Page-a-Day calendar to my left. Charlie Brown starts my day off right. Some of the ones that I've liked over the past year are on the wall, including one where Charlie Brown says "YOU LOOK CUTE TODAY!" and I always pretend C.B. is talking right to me if I need a self-esteem boost.

Also on my left is my writing frog. Sometimes if I get writer's block or feel lazy, I look at that smug little frog over there, just writing away, and I get mad! But he's so adorable that I can't stay mad at him long.

On the wall to my left, amidst the post-its that try to remind me little details about my job are my Washington license tag, my Sgt Peppers calendar my brother gave me Christmas last year, and some beautiful notecards with illustrations of Japanese seasons that are in a museum somewhere. There's also this thing with an American flag that has three boxes, where you can check off if you're a Republican, a Democrat, or a Cosmetologist. Apparently cosmetologists make a lot of money and my editor thinks I need a career change, as she's the one who gave it to me. I try not to take it as a statement of how I'm doing my job. The cosmetologist part is covered up with my Advent calendar, which has dangerously little candy left inside.

The whole right side of the cubicle is devoted to postcards of old Nancy Drew book covers. They inspire me to constantly look for clues in this mystery of life and to dress a little better. That Nancy always looked sharp.

The things you really can't see in this picture are my phone that never rings and the shelf space, which is mostly just filled with papers, a dictionary, a style guide and my big bag.

So that's where I work. If ever want to feel like me for awhile, stare at this picture for 8 or 9 hours and you'll have an idea of what it's like to be me during the week.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I just want you to somehow get me a discount at Sephora.

Anonymous said...

What style guide do you use? We're all about the Chicago Manual in my office.