Thursday, December 4, 2008

c'mon ride the train

Holy crap! Do you guys realize that there are only three weeks until Christmas? Well, I did. And though most media sources are focused on how difficult the holidays will be this year, what with the recession and all, I say that there are still simple and fun ways to catch the spirit of the season. I am talking, of course, about gingerbread creations.

Last year, I made a gingerbread house, and I found the process quite inspiring. I even brainstormed the things I would do if my time and money and talent were not a consideration. Unfortunately, my talent is still a consideration, as I didn't really practice the art of the gingerbread in the off-season. So I had to go with another pre-packaged gingerbread kit. Since I already mastered the house, I decided to go with the gingerbread train.

First off, the train proved a little trickier than the house because you have to break the gingerbread into the little pieces that make up the train. One of the pieces of gingerbread broke in this process but luckily I was chewing some gum so I held it together with that. The icing was still as hard to manage as last year, but I think it was a little more delicious. Sadly, this gingerbread kit did not include any people, so I tapped into some items around the house to make it a little more special.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, I present today's Picture(s) of the Day, my gingerbread train!



As you can see, the train is covered in icing and candy. It looked quite magical on its own. But then I decided it would be a celebration train of sorts, and so it's carrying Barack Obama as a passenger. Luckily for me, my dad recycled the issue of time that had this cover image the night I did my gingerbread house, or who knows who that train would have carried. The train needed a driver, or a "conductor" as it's known in the biz. While I really don’t think inanimate objects should drive, I fortunately had a toy frog that is just the right size. Then, because there was a weird hole in the tray, and I didn't know what to do with it, I made a sign that is similar to roadway signs you may see as you travel. While any train carrying Barack Obama is probably headed for DC or Chicago (or I guess Delaware if he's catching a ride home with Joe Biden), this is a CHRISTMAS train, and as such there were only a few places it could be headed: North Pole, Bethlehem, or my hometown of Candler. And because every railroad tracks has a "wrong side of the tracks," I labeled one side of the tracks as such (not pictured).

I hope you've enjoyed today's Picture of the Day as well as the creator's commentary on it. Clearly, if James Lipton ever runs out of actors to interview, he should consider talking to gingerbread artists.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I could be much happier about Barack Obama's election to the white house, but seeing him ride in on inauguration day in a candy train would be all the sweeter. Though I could take or leave the EZ-build tray.

Molly said...

The EZ-build tray is the key to these gingerbread kits' success. It holds everything together! Though the next day I used some icing to make grass and cover up the logo.