Wednesday, December 10, 2008

be true to your school

Today's Picture of the Day is related to today's This Day in History post, which is a kind of interrelatedness that will hopefully lead to some great synergy but is probably just a sign of laziness. If you haven't read today's This Day in History (and you should ask yourself, why haven't I?), then let me tell you that today is the day that in which my alma mater, Emory, was chartered. In honor of the day, I gathered up some Emory items I have around the apartment and photographed them:


Let me tell you about some of the things you see.
--The Emory sweatshirt was not purchased at Emory but rather at discount store Steve and Barry's for about 1 percent of the cost of a sweatshirt in the campus bookstore. Perhaps the biggest tragedy of Steve and Barry's going out of business is we shall have no place to buy college sweatshirts for less than ten dollars.

--The grey t-shirt is probably my favorite t-shirt in the world. I bought it freshman year. I'm kind of surprised it came out so well in the photograph because it's completely faded in real life. It's a football that says Still Undefeated, because Emory's football team is so great that it has never ever lost. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

--The Emory Memory book is a little book that I got for winning a raffle at an Emory alumni event.

--I put the Emory Magazine in because I haven't read it yet and as a result it's still hanging around the apartment.

--My parents got me that Emory clock for Christmas one year and normally it sets atop the television. It's a nice clock and I have it conveniently placed but it is the loudest damn clock I've ever heard. If I'm drowsing on my couch, I sometimes have to get up and move that clock because the ticking is just that loud.

--My parents also got that magnet that's in the hood of the sweatshirt. It's a frog with a magnet in all the limbs.

--The other shirts are from various on-campus activities. The maroon RHA shirt was from my time on the Residence Hall Association, a group that gets money to put on dinners for the dorms that practically no one comes to. The blue shirt is from when I was an orientation leader for incoming freshmen; the saying refers to a clap that the orientation leaders do that is incredibly awesome and fun if you are an orientation leader, but rather annoying and disorienting if you're not. And the green shirt is the official shirt of the Emory Tour Guides. It's kind of snotty, but tour guides on the whole are kind of a goody-goody group. It was probably a good thing for us to try a little lip.

1 comment:

Catharine said...

I gave tours at both St. Mary's and Vanderbilt! I suppose you could say that I've got a goody-goody streak...but I think I might be better known for giving others a little lip.