Monday, December 29, 2008

a day in the life

One thing I sorta pride myself on is that my blog doesn't have too much diary-format stuff, as in "I did this, then I did this, and this person made me mad and here's what I did after that." That tends to get boring after awhile and I prefer to focus on weirder small parts of my life. I think everyone would quickly see how boring my everyday life is. But when you're going for a goal, you gotta try everything. So here is what my blog would be like if it was more about my real life:

Dear Diary,
Today I woke up at 5:55 a.m. Since the alarm was set for 6, I figured I'd snooze for five minutes but that was a bad idea because then I ended up pushing snooze three more times. I should have just gotten up when I woke up.

I pulled on my exercise clothes and went to the little apartment gym to exercise for an hour. I did the stationary bike and read Atlanta magazine and Rolling Stone magazine. I don't recall reading anything particularly earth-shaking. Then it was off to shower and get ready for work. I ended up wearing a black long-sleeved t-shirt with a magenta puffy vest. Since so many people are off this week for the holidays, I figured it didn't matter if I was uber casual at work.

For breakfast, I had waffles. I know I am always writing to you, Diary, about the waffles I eat, but it actually turns out that I haven't had them in quite awhile because they haven't been on sale at Kroger lately. It was good to have them again. I grabbed my stuff for work and left, which was kinda difficult because I haven't unpacked anything from Christmas break yet. I hope my mom doesn't read this diary entry, because she would probably frown on that!

I drove to work and the trip was pretty uneventful. I got there early, at like 8:30 a.m. I made some coffee with hot chocolate as is my wont and settled down to catch up on emails and blogs and to see where I was work-wise. As I predicted, not many people were in the office today so it was peaceful and quiet. My Monday morning meeting was canceled, which gave me an extra 30 minutes to work. I reviewed an earlier draft of an article I'm working on, then did a little bit of research, then wrote the last page of it. Then I started working on listing all the sources I used for the article. There were a lot!

By this time I was pretty hungry so I went to the break room to fix my lunch, which was chicken fried rice as prepared by the kind folks at Lean Cuisine. While the microwave worked its magic, I talked to a co-worker about how much I hate that Lexus commercial with the woman who gets a pony for Christmas then grows up to get a Lexus. My lunch was very hot so I had to wait a bit to eat it. Also I had a Cherry Coke Zero. They haven't been stocking Diet Cherry Coke lately which is my preference. As you know, Diary.

I sent the article to my editor, then I started researching my next article, which has to do with shipping pets. By late afternoon, all that researching had made me pretty hungry again, so I made a single-serving bag of popcorn. While the popcorn popped I talked to a coworker about hot air popcorn poppers and how they are better, but I probably should have listened more closely to the popcorn, because wouldn't you know, it burned! I smelled like burnt popcorn the rest of the day. Oh well.

I left work at 5 and the commute was super easy, because it is usually super easy if you leave the office before 5:15. I don't know why the commute gets worse as it gets darker. But it does. When I got home I called up a friend and chatted on the phone for awhile. Then I fixed another Lean Cuisine for dinner, which means boy oh boy did I get a lot of sodium today! I read some of "Middlemarch" and then changed clothes for yoga class.

I walked down to yoga and it was generally a good class. Apparently I am starting to do something weird with my knees in certain poses, where I just sink into the joint. In a bad way. So the teacher told me to watch that. After class the yoga teacher told us some anecdotes from her recent trip to India for the guru's birthday. It sounded nice.

Then I walked back home and took a shower. Yes, that puts the shower count at 2 today, but that means I will have less to do in the morning. Now I am writing this blog and listening to my Ipod. Right now the Beatles are playing. I have a cousin who knows Ringo. After I finish this blog entry I will probably draft up tomorrow's picture of the day and then maybe read some "Middlemarch." It was a very busy day, Diary, but a pretty productive one. I think these short work weeks with long holiday weekends agrees with me.

Talk to you tomorrow, Diary.

XOXO,
Molly

No comments: