Wednesday, December 3, 2008

it's funny because it's about furniture

Today's Picture of the Day shows off my favorite part of the drive between Atlanta and Candler. My three-and-a-half hour drive is only interstate for little bits and pieces; most of the drive winds its way through small towns and picturesque scenery. It's a pretty drive for sure, especially when leaves are changing, but my favorite part of the drive is a little less bucolic:



I like this sign because, of course, it is hilarious. But what is even a little more amusing is that I don't think of the small town in which it's located as a particularly scandalous place. I would say most of the areas I drive through are home to good conservative God-fearing folks. Not that those folks don't enjoy a good ribald joke about stripping, but I wouldn't be so brave as to stake my whole advertising campaign on it. And yet it's been in business since 1987. They must be doing something right in that barn.

Anyways, that's my favorite part of the drive. Here are the others:
--Clayton, GA: Clayton, GA really represents your best chance for cheap gas and getting something decent to eat between Atlanta and Candler. They have a Chick-fil-a which is good for early morning drives back to Atlanta, and they have a Wendy's which is good for dinnertime drives back to Atlanta. They have many gas stations with competitive prices, but my favorite one is probably this huge one that has the most gigantic beverage area you've ever seen. In addition to the standard bottled sodas, juices, beer, water, etc. that is available in most every gas station, they also have every single fountain drink. Also they have Icee-like beverages. And my favorite is the wide array of flavored coffee drinks, the kind of drinks you get by pushing a button until your cup is 2/3 of the way full. Starbucks has nothing on this place, if you lower your standards a little bit. I like to get the Peppermint Patty Mocha. It's hard to tell how much of it is coffee and how much of it is just a sugary peppermint concoction but what do I care? It only costs a dollar.

--Other signs: While no other sign matches the hilarity of the sign that is today's Picture of the Day, there are some other signs that mildly tickle me. There's a sign that says "Runaway Truck Ramp," and as my dad always says, it's so sad when trucks run away. There used to be a sign that said "Keep right except to pass" and it was followed not five yards later by a sign that indicated that the right lane was ending and you had to merge left. There used to be a sign indicating that a small town was the birthplace of one of the Miss Teen Georgia's but I guess her reign was so long ago now that they took it down.

--The parts of the trip where the speed limit is 70 mph: Yes, these sections of road don't really feature the pretty scenery that makes this trip so enjoyable, but at least you get to go fast through them. What's better is that the majority of these higher speed limit areas come right after you get off the interstate getting out of Atlanta. Since I'm usually crawling on that part, getting to go 70 right after feels especially fast.

--Gem mining areas: You pass a lot of those places where you pay some money for a bucket of dirt and then you look for gold and rubies and other gems. We went once as a field trip. Even though I don't think there could be much left to find at this point, going through this little area makes me feel that the possibility to be extremely rich has not passed me by.

--Gigantic private school on the side of the road in Georgia: There's this huge boarding school up on a hill that I pass. That place fascinates me. I wonder what goes on up there. What are the kids like? Sometimes I used to daydream that I went there. I guess my fascination with this place is not unique as there are many books about boarding schools.

--Scenery: I guess I already covered this in the intro. It's a pretty drive. The towns are darling, and even though you have to slow down to very low speed limits, you still get home faster than if you'd gone interstate the whole way. You pass a place that does chainsaw art!

--Milkshakes: There are a fair number of places where you could stop and get a milkshake, if that was your kind of thing.

No comments: