Tuesday, December 9, 2008

barack the blog

If anyone hasn't noticed, I'm upping my blog posting schedule in this, the last month of the year. It's sort of a bad habit of mine, waiting til the last minute to actually write a lot of blogs so that the year-end total looks impressive.

Why do I have this problem? As I look back over the last year, I see a few reasons:
1. Whereas before I had a bus commute where I could read more magazines and books, this year I had a car commute and could read fewer books. That affected the number of book postings.

2. In addition to reading less, I also read bigger books, which took longer to finish, which also affected the number of book postings.

3. Piggybacking on that bus commute thing -- that seemed to give me a lot more material and ideas than driving home in my car did.

4. In the year of 2007, I quit my job in September, took a big road trip that necessitated a lot of posts, and was unemployed for several months, which gave me a lot of time to post. This year, none of those things happened. I was employed the whole time, took no road trips, and had no time to post.

5. My job is a little more creative and writing-intensive than it used to be, which means that the blog is not the same outlet that it once was.

6. I didn't have the discipline to post every day for one month like I did last year.

7. Some of the things that I posted most about last year included Bryan Adams videos, emails from my spam filter, and goats that thought they were dogs. This year, I encountered less of all those things.

8. If you do an analysis, you'll definitely see that blog postings are longer this year, which means that total amount posted is actually the same if not more this year.

9. I had more television programs to follow this year.

10. And honestly, one of the biggest reasons I haven't posted as much this year was there was this GIGANTIC election going on that I followed obsessively. Down to tiniest details. But I don't think politics is a good topic for my blog, for one reason because every single other blog in the world deals with politics. So I didn't necessarily post every single thing I was thinking or wondering about because so much of it was election-related. Maybe now that the election is over, that's why the floodgates can open.

Anyways, the election and my obsession with it brings us to today's Picture of the Day. Here I am modeling the very best in presidential masks in a Maryland target. It was hard to breathe in that mask. Hopefully an Obama presidency won't be the same. Hey-o!

No comments: