Friday, December 12, 2008

This Day in History: Dec 12

Look, there's no way around it. December 12 was a weird day in history. It's hard for me to find meaning in today. Look at all the things that happened:

--In 1098 there was this massacre as part of the First Crusade that eventually ended with everyone eating each other.
--1787: Pennsylvania becomes a state
--1863: Edvard Munch was born
--1915: Frank Sinatra was born
--1923: Bob Barker was born
--1941: Lots of World War II related deaths, including Hiter's secret meeting where he announced the extermination of the Jews.
--1942: A fire at a hostel in Newfoundland kills people.
--1946: A fire at an ice plant of all places spread to a nearby tenement and killed people
--At a massacre in Malaysia the guards kill people
--1963: Kenya became independent
--1975: Mayim Bialik was born
--1979: Rhodesia changed its name to Zimbabwe, which I think we can all agree was a change for the better, or at least more interesting and fun to say.
--1982: 30,000 women held hands and formed a human chain as part of a peace protest.
--1985: A plane crashed and killed people
--1988: A train crashed and killed people.
--2000: The Supreme Court released its decision in Bush v. Gore and killed people
--2003: Keiko, the whale from Free Willy, died

Man, I've been staring at that random list for at least five minutes trying to find some meaning in it. Overall, I think it's a harbinger of doom. Which is a letdown, because I was sure today was going to be a good day after hearing Bryan Adams' "Summer of 69" in the car this morning. Oh well.

To make up for my lack of comment on the day's events, I thought I would just type out what my page-a-day Peanuts calendar had for the day, but it's kind of a snooze also: Charlie Brown tells Sally that he can't always help her with her homework, and that he's told her over and over again, and how often does he have to tell her? And Sally says, "For the umpteenth time?" Not Charles Schulz's best.

Anyways, after perusing the day's events and reading my daily Peanuts, I just have to tell you that I think you should go back to bed if such a thing is still an option.

No comments: