Saturday, December 22, 2007

The last questions!

Here's the last batch of BAM(H)! POW! SOB! questions provided! I threw all these together because they were the most random, and the hardest to think of answers for!

23. Mike Huckabee is scarier than W
Do you feel this way because you are scared of Chuck Norris?

24. The freecreditreport.com song, while it is extremely annoying, it gets stuck in your head
Every time I turn around, there is an entirely new freecreditreport.com commercial! So now I can’t even say that all of them are stuck in my head. I know that one with the pirates in the restaurant pretty well. Annoying songs are just meant to get stuck in one’s head. I am reminded of that episode of Cheers where Rebecca wanted a jingle for the bar, but she didn’t like the tune they did because it was annoying and just put the phone number of the bar over a children’s song. But then Woody walked by and sang another place’s phone number to the tune of a children’s song, and Rebecca realized she made a mistake by not hiring the guy. Or something like that. Anyways, I kind of like the guy who plays the pirate. He’s from France.

25. There hasn't been a good movie made in America in years.
I would disagree. John Cusack makes most of his movies in America (exceptions: Max, maybe there were a few filmed in Canada), and these are really good movies.

26. Why are 12-year-olds so much older than I was when I was 12?
I think they put hormones in the water now.

27. The American Family Association has called for a boycott of Target due to its support of same-sex benefits. Thoughts & reactions.
I think the American Family Association should consider boycotting stores that do not offer any benefits, because I would guess that’s probably way more damaging to a family.

28. Bumper stickers on a car: W 2004 next to "Keep Asheville Weird"?? WTF
Asheville is an interesting place. There are a lot of hippies, and when I was in high school, Rolling Stone did an article that called Asheville the New Freak Capital (most of the article really dealt with a guy who ran around naked who ran for City Council). Yet there are also a lot of conservative people. I guess BAM(H) was surprised that both of these stickers would be on the same car.

One of the criticisms I remember about the “Keep Austin Weird” movement is that you can’t necessarily cultivate weirdness. And isn’t it kind of uncool to know how weird you are? And can weirdness be a movement per se? Isn’t it kind of lame that Asheville just stole Austin’s slogan? I think if you agree with these kinds of criticisms, then you can see how a person who is technically a conservative might want to view themselves as weird and as supporting Asheville’s weirdness. I really don’t think the true Asheville weirdos are really the ones buying the “Keep Asheville Weird” stickers.

But hey, everyone who reads this blog likes the Avett Brothers, right? In an interview, Scott Avett was talking about how Asheville was a good fit for the band because it was mix of freaks and conservatives: “I think the really good thing about Asheville is that you can get some of the same, I would say creative progressiveness, as you get in New York City, with the same contrast of conservative countryness, which is a mixture of what we are.” So while it might be odd to see both bumper stickers on the same car, I think we have to support it if it’s going to help the Avett Brothers thrive.

No comments: