Monday, December 10, 2007

Book #30: Atonement

The book: Atonement by Ian McEwan

What is this book about: On one day in 1934, Cecilia Tallis and her family’s housemaid’s son, Robbie, realize they’re in love. By the end of the day, Cecilia’s sister, Briony, has accused Robbie of a terrible crime. Even saying that much though, is kind of saying too much. Recent movie reviews have said much much more and this is a book where you just kind of have to let the plot unfold.

Why did I read this book: Because it was about to be a movie, and I don’t like it when movies come out before I’ve read the book. This one, I made it in under the wire. And you know, it’s critically acclaimed and important and whatnot.

What did I think of this book: I loved this book, but I will say that I loved it in the sense that I admired it, and respected it, and thought that every word was in exactly the right place. But I didn’t always love it so much that it was an unstoppable page-turner. It was kind of a slow book for me, but that might have just been because it was intense and I would have to take breaks.

What was my favorite part of this book: I liked the questions this book raises about writers and writing and fiction, but I can’t tell you what those questions are because I fear it would ruin the book for you.

What did I learn from this book: Writing can be dangerous. We can’t control everything. Some things we can never atone for. War is hell.

What grade do I give this book: A

No comments: