Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Book #31: An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England

The book: An Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England by Brock Clarke

What is this book about: When Sam Pulsifer was 18, he accidentally burned down the Emily Dickinson House in Amherst, MA; in the process, he killed a couple who were having a private moment on Emily Dickinson’s bed. After ten years in jail, Sam tries to start over, and succeeds until the son of the folks who died in the Emily Dickinson House fire shows up. Sam’s life is ruined. Mysterious fires start occurring at writers’ homes all over New England. The book follows Sam as he tries to get his life back in order.

Why did I read this book: Because the title was so great.

What did I think of this book: I thought this book was pretty clever, even thought at times it’s over-clever and probably needed one more edit. Sometimes Sam Pulsifer was just too much of a rambling sad sack and I wanted to smack him. But I like to read, and this book tries to get at why we read, or why we don’t read, in interesting ways. Are we all just acting out stories we’ve read before? Is anything original, or are we all just characters? Etc. So if you like pondering those sorts of questions, or if you like fires, or New England, or rambling sad sacks, then you will probably like this book.

I also thought several times that I wish I had thought of the title, except I would have set it in the south, because I grew up in a town where someone did actually manage to burn down the writer’s house (http://www.wolfememorial.com/news_ahouserestored.html), so I think I have an idea of the kinds of details that can go in the book. Brock Clarke, if you ever read this, and start thinking sequel, let me know. I got a hunch that plenty of people would be interested in a fictional burning of William Faulkner’s house. Police, if you ever read this, please note the use of the word "fictional".

What was my favorite part of this book: When Sam goes to a reading at the Robert Frost House. That scene captures the pretension and ridiculousness of author’s readings.

What did I learn from this book: The truth does not set you free. There are no accidents. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for things we did not do.

What grade do I give this book: B+

No comments: