Sunday, December 16, 2007

Poll #4 Results: Burritos

Poll #4 asked, which ingredient is the best ingredient in a burrito. The winner was cheese, with 60% of the vote. I think that’s pretty understandable, because cheese is delicious in most every circumstance but particularly when paired with the other ingredients in a burrito. Somewhat surprisingly, beans came in second with 40% of the vote. While beans do make up a large percentage of the burrito, and undoubtedly are responsible for making a person feel full, I have to say that if I were to eat a burrito without beans, I might not notice. Subquestion: what kind of beans do you prefer in a burrito? Me, I prefer black.

All of the other options (meat, pico de gallo, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream) came in with 20% of the vote each. To me, the big surprise here was the lack of support shown to guacamole. I’ll tip my hand a little here and say that guacamole is my favorite ingredient in a burrito, but perhaps it’s a little handicapped in this race because many burrito vendors do not necessarily view guacamole as an essential ingredient. In many cases, this relegates the guacamole to an add-on status, and many may not pay the extra to have it added to the burrito. I’m also surprised that meat didn’t do as well as others ingredients. I find meat to be very crucial. Subquestion: what kind of meat do you prefer in a burrito? If it’s a special occasion, and if I know they have it, I’ll go steak. But I like chicken as well.

Fun facts about burritos:
-Burrito means “little donkey” in Spanish.
-American-style burritos are typically larger than Mexican-style burritos.
-Breakfast burritos are delicious.
-Juan Mendez is credited with inventing the burrito, but don’t confuse that Juan Mendez with the Juan Mendez that is in the United Nations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At this point I'd like to reveal that I voted for every single option except for guacamole. While I couldn't imagine a burrito being anything but a perfect harmony of the other ingredients, I'm just not wild about avocados.