Saturday, August 25, 2007

Two of the best views of Seattle

It's a gray day. One topic that comes up frequently in Seattle these days, and that is the poor weather we've had this summer. In case you are unfamiliar, one of the main reasons people live in Seattle is for the summer. You spend months of your life battling rain and gray and whatnot, but then there's four perfect months where there's not a cloud in the sky, it's warm but not scorching hot, the water is blue, and no one has a care in the world.

Except we didn't really have that this summer.

I don't really know why I am putting this all down as lead-up, because all I was going to say is that the pictures below were not taken today, because today is gray. These pictures were taken on nice days.

The pictures below are two of my favorite views of Seattle, and if you're visiting, I would tell you to go to these places for a great picture of Seattle, and not necessarily the Space Needle. And not just because these places are free. Everybody thinks the view from the Space Needle is good because you're up so high, but don't go unless it is absolutely crystal clear, with not a cloud in the sky. I haven't even let my own parents go. But the main benefit to me, at these places, you get the Space Needle IN the picture. I think it adds a little something.

View #1: Kerry Park

This viewpoint is in my neighborhood. To the right of the image, you can see Mount Rainier. This park was used in a scene of Grey's Anatomy once; Meredith and George sat on the wall in front of this view and talked about heartbreaking things. The only downside to this park, I would say, is despite the presence of a few benches, it's really not the kind of park that you hang out in.

View #2: Gasworks Park

This park is in Fremont and is one of my favorite places in Seattle. I don't get over there as much as I'd like these days, but when I first moved to Seattle, I could walk here. I would go over, read, get sunburnt, and look at my new city. There is a bench in this park that was used in the movies Singles, and also this park was used for the paintball scene in 10 Things I Hate About You. People like to fly kites here a lot.

It used to be a gas plant, and some of the remains are still up:


Kinda makes it look like we had a nice summer, huh?

No comments: