Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Take me to the movies, Bryan

Here are two Bryan videos from the soundtrack collection (in hindsight, I really should have saved "All for Love" for today. Oh well)

(Everything I Do) I Do It For You
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oOkxI2YtZXw
In this song, Bryan and his team don't get to tell much of a story, the way they do with other videos, because there are so many clips of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Instead, BA and the band play in Sherwood Forest and let Kevin Costner and Alan Rickman do the heavy lifting. Watching this video is a little more fun if you imagine Bryan Adams as Robin Hood. But only a little. Bryan still gets in his trademark walking while singing, along the coast.

Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3pJoMeEg8cM
Well, one thing you have to know about this video is that everyone wears a mask, like Johnny Depp's character in Don Juan Demarco (the film the song is for), and everything is supposed to look kind of vaguely erotic I guess. The mask makes Bryan Adams look a bit like a kid playing Robin (of Batman and Robin) on Halloween. I do give him a little credit for the early scene where we see the world through his mask vision...I think that shows the proper amount of humor, and then when you see that absolutely everyone is wearing a mask...well, I'd like to think they didn't take it TOO seriously, but I have no proof. I think this song is fairly ponderous and takes itself too seriously, so I don't want to assume they weren't doing the same thing on the video set.

Things are kicked up a notch when Bryan ditches the mask, stands on a table, and belts it with the Spanish guitar. But only for a few seconds. Basically, this is probably my least favorite Bryan Adams song, and if the lyrics are indeed the true measure by which really loving a woman are measured, then I am likely immensely out of luck.

No comments: