Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book #25: The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The book: The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

What is this book about: This book is about Jane Rosenal at different stages of her life, and her search for love and happiness.

Why did I read this book: After reading so many memoirs/nonfiction with narrators that annoyed me with their self-absorption, I was really hungering to read some fiction, so that if the character was self-absorbed, I could write it off to that.

Also, I hear it's going to be a movie, and I like to read books before they become movies. It's actually going to be 2 movies...one with Sarah Michelle Geller based on two of the stories, and one directed by Francis Ford Coppola based on another story.

What did I think of this book: I really loved that it was a bunch of interlocking short stories, although the reviewers on Amazon sure didn't. It's a really entertaining and quick read, which I appreciated, and I thought it well captured the elements of light and dark in everyone's life. The title is humorous. It refers to hunting for guys and reeling them in, if anyone was wondering.

I also liked that Jane never took the easy way out (a recurring theme, as it used to be her dad's motto). Too many times she could have easily just gotten married and not have to worry about anything anymore, but she kept going. She's a trooper.

What was my favorite part of this book: There were many good lines and hits-too-close-to-home truths; this one pops into my mind, probably because it was near the end of the book and sometimes I have a bad memory for the beginning of books when I'm at the end of books:
"I once heard someone describe jealousy as ice water coursing through your veins, but in mine it's more like vomit" (271).
I mean, if you find that line amusing, then you'd like this book. If you don't, you won't.

What did I learn from this book: Men are so crazy! So are women!

What grade do I give this book: A-

No comments: