Sunday, August 12, 2007

Book #23: Wigfield

The book: Wigfield by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello and Stephen Colbert

What is this book about: Russell Hokes has somehow managed to get himself a book contract, and now he's just trying to get to 50,000 words. He stumbles upon the town of Wigfield and interviews its zany residents. Wigfield is in danger of being destroyed if the state tears down the dam.

Why did I read this book: Because those three could read the phone book and it would probably be funny. Lately if I have trouble falling asleep I act out Strangers with Candy episodes in my head.

What did I think of this book: Well, one thing I have to say is that I didn't strictly "read" the book--I checked out both the book and the audio book from the library. The audio is read by the authors and it helps, I think, to have their voices to associate with it. Otherwise my eyes might have glazed over and missed some of the jokes.

It's sometimes funny, and sometimes it's stretched a little thin. Like Russell Hokes, it's sometimes too clear that the authors were having to pad a little bit to get to 50,000 words.

What was my favorite part of this book: My favorite character was probably Julian Childs, as embodied by Paul Dinello---he loves theater, and his ensemble is made up of rabbits. Sometimes he eats one in front of the others to show them who's boss.

What did I learn from this book: Writing a book is hard. Small towns are endangered.

What grade do I give this book: B-

No comments: