Monday, August 6, 2007

Can't Stop This Thing I Started

Well, I'm no dummy, and I can spot a good trend when it comes along, and basically, I will be watching every Bryan Adams video I can find and writing about it here. I'm going to try to do about 2 a day til I run out or til I cease to find them interesting. I won't embed the video every single time, cause the page will take forever to load, but I will provide a YouTube link.

1. Straight from the Heart
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d-OT5kZqc4E
In this video, Bryan masters picture-in-picture before such a thing had probably even been considered by television companies. The four small screens in the corners are a bit distracting, but obviously cutting edge and revolutionary. One small screen matches the big screen, perhaps a statement on the segmented life of a performer...a show, a bus, a new city, etc. This is a video for the fans, as evidenced by the introduction. We see scenes from concerts (why is Bryan wearing that black t-shirt that looks 2 sizes too big? Thank goodness in other scenes he's wearing his trademark leather jacket) and scenes from the road...scenes of America, which seems weird since Bryan is from Canada. We get a great moment of audience participation, where Bryan asks the audience a question that lets them yell out, "straight from the heart!"

This is a song that promises, "you know I'll never go, as long as I know, it's coming straight from the heart," but we know from the video that Bryan goes from town to town, so he is going to go. But it's a song for all fans...he's never go away from performing or writing songs, as long as it's coming straight from, well, you know.

My favorite moment in this video is when Bryan crowd-surfs. Well, he doesn't really surf, but the crowd holds him up all the same. With their love

2. Can't Stop This Thing We Started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNeB0ME3hI&NR=1
The main thing you have to know about this video is BRYAN ADAMS RIDES A BULL THAT IS SHAPED LIKE A GUITAR. THE PERSON WHO THOUGHT OF THAT IDEA IS A GENIUS AND I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY ARGUMENTS ABOUT THAT. Other than that, it's a music video that captures what filming with a wind machine and a rotating platform (kinda like a big Bosu ball) will do for you. Frankly, at times, this video made me a little seasick. But it does visually capture not being able to stop this thing that these people started. It is a force of nature that is going to make the earth shake, instruments fly, instruments explode, instruments come back together, people fall down, people speed up/slow down...if that ain't love, I don't know what is.

My favorite moment in this video is I DON'T KNOW IF I MENTIONED IT BUT THERE'S A GIANT GUITAR-SHAPED BULL RIDING MACHINE.

No comments: