Friday, August 17, 2007

scraping the bottom of the barrel

Well, time for another installment of Bryan Adams videos. I don't want to disappoint anyone too much, but these are getting harder and harder to find on YouTube, which is bad news for me, because I'll have to try harder to get interesting things to actually happen to me for blog entries, rather than living vicariously through Bryan.

Do I Have to Say the Words?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwuCl7eFzR0
This video starts off pretty promising, zooming in on a foreign language, and crowded streets, and lines like "the world's closing in"...it seems like Bryan is about to make a stunning statement on something like globalization, or language in today's modern world. Hell, he's even wearing a shirt that says "words" on it. But from this promising start, the video becomes some stylized nonsense. Right before the first chorus, Bryan puts on what appears to be a torture device, but we come to figure out through the video, is actually a viewfinder that lets him look through a car window at this girl who just kind of lazes around and lip synchs and wanders, etc. If this video is attempting to really answer the question of, do I have to say the words, then I would say, the answer is no, but you have to take that thing off your head.

Cuts Like a Knife
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MSaBxTMKvcg
In case anyone forgot what the song was called, we see a close-up of a knife...cutting an apple, which is not the most threatening thing that a knife can do, but oh well, Bryan looks pretty sinister anyways. Then he gets a guitar and rocks out, while a mysterious girl undresses. She does symbolic things like hang up a heart locket, which has gotta be one of the things that cuts like a knife. The girl and Bryan never really interact, as I expected them to; in fact, Bryan seems to have more chemistry with the guy in the band who sings the na-na-na's. Finally she's done dressing. It turns out she's going swimming, and that Bryan and the band have been playing in an empty swimming pool all this time. Congratulations if you figured this out before I did, because I was completely thrown for a loop. Total twist ending for me.

Anyways, I'm thinking that they get back together based on several clues--
1-She doesn't die by jumping into the empty swimming pool, but comes back up wet. I can't really explore what else this might mean because it seems too spiritually and emotionally deep for me to fully get into.
2-Bryan gets his knife back
3-She picks up her heart locket
4-It's a pretty good song, I'd get back together for a song like this.

18 Til I Die
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hQHu4Le1mlY
I knew I hated this song before I watched the video. But the video is going to give me nightmares. You're dead to me, Bryan Adams.

No comments: