Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars Hour 3: The moment I have been dreading arrives.

How did everyone in my pool not foresee this mini-sweep by Bourne Ultimatum in the technical awards? None of us had it for Film Editing!

Nicole Kidman presents an honorary Oscar or a lifetime achievement award, and Jennifer Garner is incredibly moved by it. I feel bad but I’m not really listening to this. I’m just playing on the internet. Every time I look up someone looks very choked up by this speech. That look of adoring emotion may be the best acting Diane Lane has ever done.

Oh, Penelope Cruz to present Best Foreign Film. What an original choice. And Austria wins. I’m pretty proud to say I got a point on this one just by guessing on the name.

I’m not going to lie, I am getting tired. I’m all curled up with John Steinbeck, primarily because he has a pillow stuffed into him. He’s giving me a hard time though, for not having read “The Grapes of Wrath” and I am promising him that maybe this year I will. It’s just that I had a bad experience trying to read it when I was a teenager, because I took it with me one year to the beach and I tried to be a teenager reading “The Grapes of Wrath” on a beach and that was probably just the worst combination of factors ever. I think I read it for three days and never got past the second page.

Whoa, I’m so happy that Jon Stewart brought back out the girl from “Once” to give her acceptance speech. That was one of those instances where the orchestra cut in after one person and that’s not fair. Laura Linney clearly loved “Once,” she looks all dewy every time they cut to her when “Once” is mentioned.

Big words are hard for you, huh Cameron Diaz?

Oh crap. The Dead Celebrities thing. I already wrote about this. I hate it. It’s the kind of thing I have to watch through my fingers, like how people watch horror movies. So cringeworthy. Stop clapping! Please stop clapping! Okay now they’re not clapping because they don’t recognize the people, which just makes it more awkward when they do recognize the people and clap loudly. Good for you. You all know who Ingmar Bergman is. Ah and they end with Heath. Oh thank God that is over for another year. I hate that so much. I mean, I want them to get recognized. I just don’t want celebrities to clap.

At this point, I am extremely ahead of all my other competitors in the Oscar pool, with 8 points. John Steinbeck and the Frog & Cheerleader still only have one apiece. You might think that a win against items in my apartment would be meaningless, but you’d be wrong. Just four awards left to go.

Diablo Cody wins for Juno! You know, Diablo Cody got discovered through her blog. I’m just saying.

No comments: