Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Introducing an exciting new blog feature!

When I lived in Seattle, I frequently complained that food courts in the Pacific Northwest, to put it bluntly, sucked. If someone were to inquire why, it was hard to put my finger on exactly why I thought that way. Surely, the absence of Chick-fil-a, the hallmark of southern food courts, was a factor. But what else? Why was the weird combination of restaurants in the greater Seattle area’s malls so offensive to me? Why eat at malls anyway?

Sometimes, when I tried to explain to people about food courts, I would reference the food court at Lenox Mall, in Atlanta. If you went to college with me, you might remember that this was one of my favorite places in the world to eat. Sure, there are lots of great places in that general vicinity to eat, but if I was in the area, I wanted to go to the mall to eat. Even if I wasn’t going to go to the mall to shop. It’s such a big food court! There’s so much choice! Is that exciting to anyone else?

Well, my current job is located about a fifteen-minute walk from Lenox Mall, and I have decided to take it upon myself to explore why this food court holds such fascination for me, by eating at every single restaurant there and blogging about it. I don’t know how long it will take, because I’ll probably just head over there a few times a month, and it won’t be the only thing I write about, but I hope in the process that we all learn something about food courts, mall culture, the politics of eating, science, small businesses, Barack Obama, and ourselves. I also hope to establish myself as one of the preeminent bloggers on mall food courts, or at the very least, Lenox food court.

Anyways, it will all start tomorrow, so check back in to see where I go. Even I don’t know where I’ll end up! Can you feel the excitement?!

No comments: