Sunday, May 18, 2008

Indiana Jones Hour 5: I want an adorable child sidekick too

Okay so now I have to try to figure out what I missed in the last hour. Indy is in a cave…maybe the titular temple of doom? People are chanting. He’s still got Kate Capshaw and the little kid with him. I really don’t remember anything about this movie.

I was just joking in that last post about human sacrifice, but that might actually be about to happen. OH MY GOD THIS IS THE ONE WHERE THEY RIP PEOPLE’S HEARTS OUT OF THEIR CHESTS HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN SUCH A THING?!?!?!?

Maybe that’s why they edited this one for content. Oh my. I wonder if Indy will explain the archaeological significance of what just happened, or if I missed that part. Indy went to go get something archaeologically significant even though Kate Capshaw didn’t want him to. I think he got it but if the first movie is any indication then some Nazis will surely be along soon to take it from him. Are Nazis in this one? And where did this little kid come from? He’s so precocious.

Now they have an Indy voodoo doll that they’re putting in fire. What is this religion all about? They must have one bad-ass store to get their little outfits and accessories and candles and whatnot. Now they are beating Indy with a whip, which makes me wonder if Indy will reconsider its use as a weapon. A fun fact to lighten up this torture scene is that Harrison Ford provided the whipcracks on the Jimmy Buffett song “Desperation Samba (Halloween in Tijuana)”. Jimmy Buffett and Harrison Ford are friends in real life.

This religion seems kind of similar to the one practiced by the people who are after Ringo Starr in the movie “Help!” Except vastly more violent, and the little kid doesn’t provide the same comic relief that Lennon/McCartney did. I just looked him up and he’s also in The Goonies and the television show “Head of the Class.” There’s a show that they should think about bringing to DVD. The little kid just told Indy that Indy is his best friend. I don’t think that portends good things for his emotional development. Indy will love you and leave you, kid. And it’s kind of a miracle you’re not dead yet. Temples of doom are no places for little kids.

Which is why, of course, Indy has to save all the little kids that have been turned into slaves! But someone gets out the Indy voodoo doll again, which means the little kid and Kate Capshaw have to do some of the heavy lifting. One guy dies by getting crushed in a wheel thing. Now they’re all in a cart and I think they’re going through the set of “Mr Toad’s Wild Ride.” This had to be a bitch to film.

Indy stops a car with his feet and then he gets chased by lots of water. Two things I would not like about being an archaeologist are the running and all the peril. Now the little kid has discovered a bridge that goes over alligators. That seems like a good place to wrap up hour 5.

No comments: