Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Best Burger in Lenox

Well, it’s almost Memorial Day, which gets me thinking about beer and burgers. So today I set off for Lenox Mall Food Court, where I knew I could get at least one of those things.

I went to Nathan’s Famous for a burger as part of the Great Food Court Project. Now, I know what you’re thinking—Molly, you already went to Nathan’s Famous as part of the Great Food Court Project. You’re just repeating yourself now. That is not interesting.

Well, let me explain what happened here. When I went to Nathan’s the first time, I noticed not one, but two signs proclaiming that Nathan’s served the “Best Burger in Lenox.” This seemed a pretty direct affront to the restaurant that was diagonally across the way: Burger King.

So, immediately I realized that we had a burger showdown on our hands. The monarchy epitomized by Burger King versus the democracy promised by all-American Nathan’s. Could the Whopper really be upstaged by a no-name burger provided by a restaurant more famous for its hot dogs? I intended to find out.

I walked into the food court today determined to give Burger King the first go at this “Best Burger” crown. A true shock awaited me, readers. For, as it turns out, Burger King has gone out of business since I’ve been there last. The King abdicated. The King has left the building. The King is dead, long live the King.

This made the best burger showdown a bit anticlimactic, as Nathan’s does indeed now have the “Best Burger in Lenox” by virtue of having the only burger. Although…perhaps it was a self-fulfilling prophecy! Perhaps by simply asserting their prominence, they did indeed become prominent. There’s a self-help book in there somewhere.

So I went ahead and had the burger at Nathan's. It was fine. It’s been awhile since I had a Whopper so I couldn’t really even picture how the showdown would have come down. I did notice that the Nathan’s burger lacked that decadent gob of mayo that a Whopper does, and I feel like the Whopper is more onion-y. Or onion-y in a way that sticks with you for hours and hours. This burger had onion but it was more subdued in its aftermath. These are either positives or minuses depending upon how you look at it.

As I ate, I pondered the travesty that the AT&T store is still allowed to do business in the food court while legitimate food-serving businesses are being pushed out. I also wondered what might fill Burger King’s spot. The only two unexploited food niches I could identify were sushi (very hip in malls right now!) and Thai (very popular in Seattle food courts!). I certainly wouldn’t mind a Wendy’s there, if we’re going to stick with chains. Also, maybe a more gourmet burger outlet, the kind of burger place that thinks up burgers with guacamole and barbeque sauce and whatnot.

I also tried to decide what Burger King’s closure portended for the Great Food Court Project. Should I eat faster, so that I can hit all these places before they go out of business? Are these store closures just reflecting the normal ebb and flow of American businesses, each barricaded storefront representing missed opportunities and the challenges of owning a franchise? I may be overthinking it, and I’m not particularly broken up over the loss of a Burger King. But I’m trying to add some depth to this project.

But let me say this. Consider this a threat, Lenox Mall Food Court. If either Sbarro or Roman Delight goes out of business before I get around to my “Best Pizza in Lenox” showdown, then….um….well, I’ll be mildly upset I guess. I thought I was going to have a stronger threat, but I don’t.

No comments: