Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Book #4: A Walk in the Woods

The book: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

What is this book about: Bill Bryson hikes the Appalachian Trail with a recovering alcoholic and muses on it.

Why did I read this book: I figured I’d see what all the fuss was about.

What did I think of this book: I very much enjoyed this book because it provided a glimpse of a trail that sorta runs through my backyard, or did when I lived in North Carolina. I appreciated that all of the people in it were easily summed up with humorous and instructive anecdotes, because those are the best types of people. I did not like it when Bryson decided in Gatlinburg, TN that he could not be “this far south” anymore because technically Candler, NC is further south and I don’t know that he needed to diss the south just because he was not making much progress hiking. By the end I felt that the big city was probably safer than the AT although I know that was not the point.

What was my favorite part of this book: This is so awful, but I really liked it when they went into town and could shower and eat a good meal. I just felt much better about things when they had clean clothes and could call home.

What did I learn from this book: That I have absolutely no desire to hike the AT. I think everyone at some point thinks it’s worth just taking a few months off to do this, but I’m glad to I know that I never, ever need to try. Ever.

What grade do I give this book: A

No comments: