Tuesday, January 2, 2007

in the bloghouse

Why Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Might Just Be the Worst Airport in the Country

Look, I can't claim to have been to every airport in the country, but in the past calendar year, I have done a fair share of flying. Today, I am ready to announce my belief that the Atlanta airport is the worst airport in the country.

I have had four layovers in Atlanta in the past two months. I sorta looked forward to them, as I have nostalgia for Atlanta and the years that I lived there. And I always forget how awful it is til I get there, so I have to experience the disappointment over and over. First, it is always so so crowded, and no matter where you are going, or where you have been, you are going to have to get on the stupid train.

But what really makes me mad are the televisions that are all over the airport. They show CNN, or some airport version of CNN, where the only commercials are for Atlanta and Georgia tourism. A television here or there is okay, and I will admit that I enjoyed some President Ford funeral coverage today, but these tv's are EVERYWHERE, which makes the Atlanta airport a bit of a loud place, and there is no quiet place to sit and read, or listen to music. That would be enough, except, the airport is also playing hits of the 70's, in addition to the television. The 70's hits are accompanied by all-airport announcements, like, hey, we put new tile down in this airport! Then, there are the announcements that are just for the airline that one is flying on, but since so much is already going on, pretty loudly to boot, the announcements are pretty hard to hear. It's loud. In case I didn't get the point across.

Maybe I am too sensitive, but that is just too many stimuli, especially for an airport, where we should all be quietly preparing for our airplane rides and maybe enjoying some fast food. Quietly.

Question: If you saw me sitting in an exit row, would you be nervous, knowing that I had to open a door and potentially save your life?
Answer: You shouldn't be, because I am super strong.

So here is my blog. I have discussed with many people what this blog might cover (at one point, it was going to be exclusively dedicated to what I ate for lunch on that particular day) but this post doesn't cover any of the things that I originally envisioned, so we'll have to see what it becomes. I do believe though, that one's personal life is usually too boring or too politically sensitive to blog about, and one's work life is much the same. So I don't plan to blog about those.

No comments: