Sunday, January 7, 2007

Book #1: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Why did I read this book: Because it seemed like a good book for a long plane ride, which I had earlier this week. Also, because I have to be ready for the release of HP7, whenever that should occur. What I have been doing since Harry Potter started is really spacing the books out, so that I would never have to be in the position of just waiting til the next one came out. But you know when the last one comes out, everyone is going to announce what happens, so one basically has to read the book on the day it comes out to avoid spoilers. For example, I knew the ending of this book months ago, and I will tell you, I did not enjoy reading this book knowing what was going to happen. So now I am ready to buy HP7 when it comes out, and then I will retire to my bunker.

What did I think of this book: This was a really wonderful book. Couldn't put it down. This series really had the potential to go downhill, I think....with each book being so long, it could have gotten old or frustrating. But it's still really great and perfectly written. I will admit I was a little bored at the beginning, with the same pattern of Harry at home, then Harry's trip to Hogwarts, then Hogwarts starts, etc. but then it was into the thick of things and WHOOSH.

What was my favorite part of this book: While all the young people's romances were fun and heartbreaking at the same time, I liked that Harry got to spend so much time with Dumbledore in this book. It was time for Harry and Dumbledore to be doing some serious debriefing on Voldemort. Yeah, that's right, I said it.

What did I learn from this book: I learned who the Half Blood Prince was, and also, I learned about Voldemort. Just like Harry.

What grade do I give this book: A

No comments: