Saturday, January 20, 2007

Book #4: What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal

The book: What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller

What is this book about: This book is the accounting of a teacher's affair with one of her students, as told by a fellow teacher.

Why did I read this book: I read this book because the movie on which this book is based just came out to great critical acclaim. I don't like to see movies before I've read the book, and frankly, I get a little offended when the movies comes out at all before I've read the book.

What did I think of this book: This book was excellent, full of beautiful prose and heartbreaking details. The character of Barbara (played by Judi Dench in the film) is one of the most interesting characters I've read lately. Completely realistic and perfectly written.

What was my favorite part of this book: The insights into Barbara. In purporting to write Sheba's tale, she offeres incredible glimpses into her own obsessive mind.

What did I learn from this book: I don't want to say I identified with Barbara, but I understood her more than I'd like to admit. I think I've learned that there are areas in my life that I need to loosen up, or I'm going to end up like her, should I end up a British spinster.

What grade do I give this book: A

No comments: