Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I'm Ore-gone

Well, I don't know how long I can stay awake to blog, so I will start with today and work backwards, because things have happened before today that should be documented. But let's start with today.

Today, I began my roadtrip that will go from Seattle to North Carolina. I started the day with a raspberry scone and coffee from Grateful Bread in Seattle. When I got on I-5, I went over one of my favorite spots...the stretch of I-5 where you have all of downtown, Gasworks and Lake Union, and the Space Needle ahead of you. As I drove through the city, I was conscious that this was the last time I was going to see it for awhile. It reminded me of when I first saw the skyline, about three years ago, in the cab from the airport. I flew out with two bags and a borrowed laptop, and I left with a full (new) car. Things change. Now they're changing again, and instead of feeling sad or depressed at that "last look," I felt good. It's another good change for me, just like moving to Seattle was a good change for me when that happened. Anyways.

So I drove down I-5. I stopped in Olympia to take some pictures of the capitol and drive through downtown.

I made it to Portland around lunchtime. I found this place that I had seen in a magazine that had waffle sandwiches. I had a waffle sandwich with ham and gouda cheese. It was a winner, as it combined both the fluffy carbohydrates and the fatty meats of breakfast. I saw a place called "Dancing Bare," and it had a bear crossed out and a voluptuous lady circled. I thought that was pretty clever for a strip joint so while I was stopped at a red light, I tried to take a picture from my car, but the first time, a van crossed in front of my car. The second time, I was starting to move a little bit, so all I got was "Dancing Bar." Which I guess is truly what it is but I am sad I was unable to document the cuteness.

Then I drove into downtown Portland. I like Portland, but anytime I ever get anywhere in that town, it's by sheer luck and I always end up driving in circles to get there. And not just concentric or tangential circles, but the same circle over and over. Even when I'm trying to do something different. The same circle over and over.

I went to Powell's of course, and I was very good and did not buy any books even though I wanted to. There's just no room in the car.

Then I was getting cranky and tired but I could not find a soda to save my life. Then I couldn't find the interstate to save my life. I mean, I could see it, but I couldn't get there. Finally I got there and tried to stop in Beaverton for a soda. Ended up driving around Beaverton for who knows how long, just getting crankier and more tired. Finally I got to a store, but I was behind this woman who bought like $80 of produce and it all had to be rung up one by one and then finally, oh finally, I had some caffeine and felt immensely better.

From Portland I drove 26 west to Tillamook and the Oregon coast, a drive I had done before, about two years ago. It was a really pretty day for the drive...the leaves are changing, and the sky was pretty when it wasn't raining. The last time I went to Tillamook, I turned right and went north, but this time, I turned left and went south. I only did a little bit of it today, but I got to see the sunset over the beach and I watched lots of seagulls. I decided to stop in Lincoln City. I had dinner at a waterfront restaurant called Mo's, where I had the famous clam chowder and an oyster burger that tasted like heaven. I give today an A+ where food is concerned.

I didn't get as far as I wanted to get today, but I was pretty tired. Also I have nothing to do for about two weeks except enjoy the ride. I did some trip planning tonight and am ready to rock out the rest of the Oregon coast tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun fact of the day, the trip from Seattle to Lincoln City is almost 300 miles, and is much farther down the Oregon coast than I've been for a long time. Actually I'm not sure I've made it any more south than Cannon Beach, which isn't very far at all. Anyway, you're doing good. I bet you'll be in Eureka by tomorrow eve!