Thursday, October 11, 2007

Day 9: I sat in traffic

I started Day 9 by heading for Orange County, which the kids call The OC, to go to the most exciting attraction in the Anaheim area, which you might think is Disneyland, but is actually the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace. See, when I was born, my dad implanted a magnet chip in my wrist that goes off when I’m in close proximity to presidential libraries. The chip pulls me to the library. I have no control. I have to go.

What’s interesting about the Nixon Library is that it started off a private library, as opposed to an “official” library, paid for by federal funds, because of the whole Watergate thing. But this summer, it started the transition to a federally funded library. So they’re in a bit of transition, with the first step being a renovation of the Watergate room, so I couldn’t see that. From what I understand, it used to explain Watergate as a left-wing conspiracy, and now it’s going to be a little more unbiased.

If a presidential library does it’s job right, you leave feeling completely sympathetic and in love with that particular president, and Nixon’s does a pretty good job of that. He has framed his narrative as one of knowing the deepest lows in a way that make the highest mountains even sweeter. So while he had early success in state office and as vice-president, his defeat to JFK and subsequent political failure was almost a necessary low. Then, getting elected president=high, resigning=low. Of course, the lows are presented as never being Nixon’s fault; apparently he was nothing but a perfect angel and hardworking man the whole time, but if you’re willing to suspend disbelief, it’s a pretty inspirational story.

Nixon probably best framed his foreign policy work, with lots on China and the Soviet Union. You can also walk through a presidential helicopter, the house that Nixon was born in, and a replica of the East Room of the White House. Interesting fact: you can use the Nixon library for weddings/receptions; a bride was there inspecting it while I was there.

The drive to and from Nixon took forever, with a boatload of traffic. It was insane. I sat there and wandered how anything ever got done in L.A., because all they do is sit in traffic. Maybe that’s where the writers do their work…writing songs and scripts stuck in traffic.

Eventually I made it back to L.A. proper to go to the Getty. I got there with only about two hours before it closed so I felt like I was running through it, but I still got a good look at lots of art and some good views of L.A. As usual, I liked anything that was Italian the best, but they also have a good room of Impressionists, including van Gogh’s Irises.

Then I made my way back to Oliver’s. Even though he was gone on a business trip, he still let me stay there…super sweet! He’ll probably never read this, but thank you Oliver! I trip planned a bit and then went to sleep.

No comments: