Monday, October 22, 2007

Book #27: A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

I read this book before I left Seattle, and in all the craziness of moving, never wrote up my officially sanctioned book review for it. Now I don’t have the book in front of me, and to be perfectly honest, it feels like it’s been about six years since I was in Seattle. So let’s look forward, not backward, and just wrap this up without the formal review. Here's what I thought:

I think I read this book too soon after I read The Kite Runner, because it just sort of seemed like The Kite Runner with girls instead of boys. Also, perhaps because I had just read the Kite Runner, I felt like I could tell, before I even turned the page, when there were going to be dramatic plot points. These plot points were usually sad events. So it started to feel so predictable, but, women’s lives in Afghanistan are pretty predictably sad, it sounds like, so then I felt bad for questioning predictability in the book when it mirrors predictability in life.

Anyways, I’d still recommend it, and I give it a B.

No comments: