Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 12: Land of Enchantment

“Cheetos in Albuquerque. I can hardly wait.”—John Cusack in The Sure Thing

This morning I drove from Truth or Consequences to Albuquerque. In Albuquerque, I went to the Old Town (http://www.albuquerqueoldtown.com/). I walked around and bought things, including salsa, jerky that is chile-flavored, and an awesome pope statue at a church. I did not go to the Rattlesnake Museum, because that is the kind of thing that would give me nightmares, and in the tragic mistake of the day, I did not eat lunch.

From Albuquerque it was onto Santa Fe. Santa Fe is a nicer version of Albuquerque, with galleries and authentic art as opposed to tacky souvenir shops. At this point in my life, I’m more of a tacky souvenir shop kind of girl, so I think I preferred Albuquerque to Santa Fe. I went to a pretty basilica that’s in the center of town. In Santa Fe, there’s also this chapel that has a staircase that’s considered miraculous because it has no visible means of support, but I had no cash for the admission fee by that point and I was also about to pass out from dehydration.

As I mentioned, I did not eat lunch in Albuquerque, thinking I would have lunch in Santa Fe, but I just started looking for lunch at about the time restaurants were closing down for siesta. That’s been one of my main challenges on this trip, to eat a meal before I get painfully hungry. I should just go to restaurants when I identify good ones to go to around appropriate meal times. That’s my goal for the remaining days of the trip.

After Santa Fe I drove about 4 hours to Amarillo, Texas. I changed time zones again and I have no idea what time it is or what time it is in relation to anyone else. All I know is I am tired and getting cranky. Also I had to write this entry twice because Blogger is just LYING when it says it is auto-saving.

No comments: