Thursday, October 11, 2007

Day 11: Arizona

Today I drove from Blythe, California, to Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Matthew, miles? Not all that much happened and it was sort of a boring day, with just the rolling brown hills and the cacti to keep me company.

Here are some things of note:
-Today I was wishing that an outlet mall would come along, because I had a real itch to buy some cheap books, and then, lo and behold, along came an outlet mall. I bought two books and felt better.
-I stopped for lunch in Tucson. I saw more cacti than I'd ever seen in my life! I saw this one hill where it was almost like the cacti were grass, there were so many. And not squatty or flat cacti, either, but those tall, two curvy arm cacti.
-In Tucson I had a chimichanga and Diet Pepsi for lunch. Then I was walking along, and I stopped to take a picture of a church. I had the camera in one hand, and then I put up the other hand to block some of the glare of the sun. But I forgot that the other hand had an open can of Diet Pepsi, and I spilled Diet Pepsi all over myself. It dried instantly, though, since it was 95 degrees.
-So far New Mexico seems like Arizona except with less cacti and rounder hills.
-I entered another time zone today and lost an hour, which was also confusing because I wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy but was not exactly sure what time it would come on anymore. So it was sort of a mad rush to find a hotel room tonight. But the hotel has a pool, so after Grey's I will go swimming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I got a shout out! I feel like I have such a purpose. To answer your question, you smashed all your previous records, by driving a whopping 565 miles, or as Google Maps says, "about 8 hours, 21 minutes."

I take it Phoenix totally underwhelmed you considering it's the first major city you're driven through which hasn't even been mentioned. Leo's best friend lives there. I hear it's, uh, hot?

Tonight we're having a Mexican themed game night in your honor. Yes, there will be margaritas.

Molly said...

I didn't even stop in Phoenix...I couldn't find a guidebook or a website that recommended anything there in the slightest, and believe me, I looked. It was hot.

What game did you play?

Anonymous said...

I've heard that Phoenix is devoid of culture and/or things to do. You were probably wise to avoid it. We played Cranium! Then we didn't have very much tequila so we did shots and mixed the margarita mix with assorted liquors, which make a daiquiri sort of bev. Quite delightful.