Monday, October 8, 2007

Day 4 events, in which I look for Rice-a-roni

If you read the entry below, you will see that I am not posting this on Day 4, but on Day 7. But everything below is what happened on Day 4.

-------

This morning I got up and saw the Corson Mansion in Eureka. It’s a big ol’ green, creepy looking mansion straight out of children’s literature, except instead of a cranky old woman living inside, it’s home to a private club. Then I got gas and had what’s becoming my usual breakfast problem…the problem is I drive by the last available place to have breakfast, not realizing it’s the last available place, and then I drive around hungry and desperate. Finally I got some cinnamon rolls at a grocery store.

I drove the Avenue of the Giants, which is where you can see some amazing redwood trees. Those are some massive trees. I drove through that famous redwood that you can drive through. Then I got back on 101. There was so much traffic due to construction at one point that I read like 15 pages of Time magazine. Once we got going again, the road took me through the Russian River valley…lots of vineyards and rolling hills. It looked like Italy. I stopped at one winery for a taste.

Then all of a sudden, San Francisco lay ahead of me. I went over the Golden Gate Bridge, found a cheap hotel, and then headed down to Fisherman’s Wharf. I walked around for a bit and saw more friggin sea lions (still annoying). I had some calamari salad and looked for souvenirs with my name on them (there were none). Then I went to Ghirardelli and had a mint sundae. It was so good. I can’t promise I won’t eat another one (or two) tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Google maps says Eureka to San Francisco is 270 miles. Considering the construction traffic, I must say I am still amazed by your driving consistency. OK, I'm off to read the events of day 5!