Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'll just slow you down

Tonight was another National Geographic lecture, this one featuring Borge Ousland, who does things like trek to the North/South poles and across Antarctica, on skis. His most recent expedition was to the North Pole in the winter, aka in complete darkness. This lecture kind of made me feel like a chump, because this guy can ski in the coldest places in the earth, pulling sleds of supplies, while being chased by polar bears, IN THE DARK, and I can't even make it down one hill without throwing out a knee. I mean, as Borge put it, things like frostbite were just cosmetic setbacks, and things like a polar bear trying to eat your tent meant a day's delay. I twist a knee and I'm gone for three weeks.

But Borge also wove into his account just how much of the trip is mental, just knowing you can do it and having a passion for it and putting one foot in front of the other. So that is what I would like to think I am doing.

Speaking of putting one foot in front of the other, I had my first physical therapy appointment today. My therapist was great--very much into the tough love, which I like. She made fun of the way I walked for awhile, but that's good, because she's been the first person who said, okay, stop protecting it and start making it strong again. Except I kind of can't remember how I used to walk before. We also worked on bending it and again, I got the go-ahead to keep on bending it even if hurts, wheras before I was concerned that pain might be a sign to stop.

So I give myself a little less than a week before I better be perfectly healed. I turn 25 on Sunday and I better not look like a gimpy old lady.

No comments: