Sunday, January 4, 2009

a fresh start

Happy New Year! Today starts off the first full week of 2009, and after a bit of a blogging break after my December sprint to the finish, I’m back to tell you interesting and useless factoids about what happened on these dates in history.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 4
Ok, as I write this, there are only about two hours left on this day. Eastern standard time of course. So I don't feel compelled to make a big production out of it. Suffice it to say that ELEVEN people who are described by Wikipedia as having something to do with football, be it in a coaching or playing position, either were born or died on this day in history. And I'm not going to get any more specific than that. Also, it is Michael Stipe's birthday.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 5
If your name is George Washington, there's a good chance that something monumental will happen to you today, for in 1759 on this date George Washington married Martha, and on this day in 1943, George Washington Carver died. HEY. If you have a baby today, name him/her George Washington, because we have a notable event and a notable death occurring on this date, but not a notable birth. YET.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 6
I found this day in history to be fairly dull.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 7
Oh man. The United States might be in trouble today if history provides any indication. Even before we were a country, we were having troubles on this day, such as back in 1608 when fire destroyed Jamestown. Then, in 1953 Harry Truman announced we had developed a hydrogen bomb. With eerie parallels to today's situation, on this date in 1980 Jimmy Carter authorized a bailout for Chrysler, and on this day in 1999, the impeachment of Bill Clinton began. And also, Dustin Diamond, a.k.a Saved by the Bell's Screech, was born. So watch your back, America!

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 8
Though a fair amount of interesting historical things happened, I think I'd like to point out that Jenny Lewis was born this day in 1976. Her latest cd, Acid Tongue, was probably my favorite of 2008 though I don't know if that's saying much because I didn't hear a whole lot of new cd's in 2008 and some of the ones I heard weren't really that good. But that cd stays put in my car's cd player, even when I am tired of it and think I should switch it. Sometimes I don't and then I get right back into it.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 9
In other female singer news, Crystal Gayle was born this day in 1951. She was one of the first singers I was really aware of when I was little. She had all that hair. I think her greatest hits cd was one of the first, if not the first, cd that my dad bought when we started making the transition from cassette tape to compact disc.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: JANUARY 10
On this day in 681, Pope Agatho died. He was pope for about three years. So far he is the only pope with the name Agatho so keep that in mind when you're picking your pope name.

2 comments:

Peter W. Mayer said...

I am going to pick up that Jenny Lewis album that you had in your car. If it's the same one.

Molly said...

Hey Peter. Welcome to the blog. Yep, that was the one in my car. Acid Tongue.