Monday, January 19, 2009

frankie say relax

Today I had the day off from work. It was very relaxing. I was trying to think about a way to blog about my relaxation but I couldn't really think of anything that would be interesting. You probably don't want a list of television programs watched or foods eaten. Overall, people's relaxation can be boring when recounted to other people. Like dreams.

But I do have some pictures that really sum up relaxation. I took them at Kanuga at Mary Henry's wedding. For those of you that don't know, Kanuga is in Hendersonville, North Carolina. You should go there if these sorts of things look relaxing to you:

New photographic theory: it's impossible to take a picture of a rocking chair that doesn't create a feeling of relaxation. Well, maybe if it was something like this:


ROCKING CHAIRS ON FIRE!

Okay, it is not a very good drawing. But you certainly can't say that it's relaxing.

Here is the lake:



Here is a tree:
I will look at these pictures tomorrow, when I am back at non-relaxing work.

But I do want to say one thing, in case I don't do some sort of inauguration post tomorrow. Probably my favorite book of all time is "Woody Guthrie: A Life" by Joe Klein. The book deals with how once the song "This Land is Your Land" became something of a patriotic anthem, the last verses were dropped because they weren't as "hip hip hooray America" as the other verses. They were much more disparaging, because the song was an angry response to "God Bless America." Before Woody lost the ability to speak from Huntington's disease, he'd take his son Arlo out and make him memorize the lost verses so they wouldn't be forgotten.

Now, the fact that Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen performed "This Land is Your Land" yesterday at the big Obama inaugural concert yesterday would already be enough to make my little folk music loving heart skip a beat. But the fact that they did it with the extended verses was amazing. I don't know if I just don't look hard enough on YouTube, but prior to that performance I don't think I'd heard the extra verses sung. Here they are:

In the squares of the city, in the shadow of the steeple
By the relief office, I saw my people
As they stood hungry, I stood whistling
This land was made for you and me

A great high wall there that tried to stop me
A great big sign there, said Private Property
But on the other side, it didn't say nothin'
That side was made for you and me

When Woody wrote that song he put a note at the bottom of the page that said, "All you can write is what you see."

That performance was probably my one non-relaxing moment of the weekend. That song gets me worked up.

No comments: