Friday, August 22, 2008

Book #7: The Three Musketeers

The book: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

What is this book about: This guy goes off to be a musketeer. He meets three other musketeers, the very same ones in the title. If you think that’s an unbelievable coincidence, then this book isn’t for you, because this book is full of unbelievable coincidences. Anyways, he hangs out with his buddies all the time but some bad things are going down in France. Political intrigue and forbidden love affairs and whatnot. Our hero just wants to love a married woman, but she’s tied up in all the political intrigue so things don’t go very well, even ignoring the fact that she’s already married. Luckily the guy has all the other musketeers to help him through all these plots and intrigues. They’re such good friends that they go around talking about all for one and one for all, but they don’t change the title of the book to reflect that they’re a foursome. Do you find this description long? It’s a long book. I haven’t even given away that much of the plot. I haven’t mentioned very many of the characters. I could go on forever. It’s a long book. But a good one.

Why did I read this book: I started this book so long ago, I don’t even remember why I started reading it. It took me a long time to read, not because I didn’t love the book, but because I’ve been really busy. But I can tell you why I finally finished the book tonight, and that’s because I’m going on vacation. And one of my favorite parts of vacation is cracking open a brand new book. So I had to get this one done. Now I get to go pick out my next book. I have sort of a weird to-do list before I go on vacation.

What did I think of this book: I think people were too easily offended in an age where being offended meant having to fight with swords. I think I spent a lot of time rooting for the bad guy. I think I was sad when the book finally ended.

What was my favorite part of this book: swordfights, revenge

What did I learn from this book:
1. How to pretend to be a Puritan and/or a Catholic, depending on the situation, to get men to do what I want
2. swordfighting
3. the French language
4. many random facts about Parisian geography from the copious footnotes.

What grade do I give this book: A

Now enjoy this:


Okay, it's possible I read the book so I'd have an excuse to put that on my blog again.

No comments: