Tuesday, April 3, 2007

dishwasher

Look, if you're reading this, and you haven't seen The Usual Suspects, and you don't want to know the end, don't read the next sentence....Okay, so you know how at the end, someone (I won't even say who), is walking, with a pronounced limp, much as I have walked for the past few weeks, and then the limp slowly disappears and the twist of the movie is revealed? Well, I have been waiting for that to happen to me. When I hobble down the street, trying to walk normally, I watch myself in the windows and wonder if this is my Keyser Soze moment. So far, I have not really had a good normal walk but I am getting closer. I am doing stairs better. I went to the gym and did 20 minutes on a stationary bike. But I still have some pain and I lack full range of motion. What oh what will my blog be about when my knee is better?

But I did drive for the first time since the accident this past weekend. Rather than choosing a nice short drive for my first drive, I drove all the way to Portland so Clair could pick up her car. Luckily that is a fairly easy drive, with no scary passes or the like, and the driving went well. It was the walking that was a killer, I guess due to stiffness from 3 hours of driving.

Portland was very nice though. We only had a few hours, so we went to REI, Lululemon, Anthropologie, and of course Powell's, where I bought myself an early birthday present (the Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote). It was also a great eating day. We started off in Seattle at Greatful Bread, where I had an amazing raspberry scone. In Portland we ate at a vegan restaurant that was in the front of a yoga studio, and I had a spicy avocado sandwich with tofu and a blueberry smoothie. We split a spinach salad. After shopping we went to Bakery Bar, where we split a carrot cake cupcake and a chocolate chip cranberry cookie. All of these food items were excellent and if you are in Seattle and driving to Portland for the day, I suggest you eat the exact same things.

But look, after seeing the yoga studio with a restaurant in front, I have decided that I will open one here in Seattle. It's the most amazing thing ever. Imagine going to a 6 pm yoga class, getting out at 7 or 7:30, and then enjoying a healthy meal, then heading home. That sounds just heavenly to me and I would like to believe I am not alone in that. My yoga studio will be known for its very hard yoga, its very good food, and special events including concerts, movies, and readings. Also the restaurant will have a little bakery and serve alcohol as well. Let me know if you want to provide funding.

No comments: