Friday, April 27, 2007

orca whales and owls

Last night I went to see Regina Spektor at the Moore. She put on a good show---she was all by herself which I think allowed her to show off some creativity. For example, when she banged a drum stick on a chair with one hand and played the piano with the other hand, or when she tapped the microphone to provide some percussion.

I've already told this theory to a few people, but the show reinforced why I can't really be friends with super artsy folk, as much as I might want to. Because while Regina has a really beautiful voice and is a gifted pianist, some of her songs are so, so weird. Which is what I love about her, but I definitely prefer her more mature tunes, and hearing about 30 songs in a row will really highlight the inconsistency. While I enjoyed the song about doing the dishes and choking on the soap bubble, I would have laughed if I was Regina's friend and she played it for me. It still worked out for her in the grand scheme of things, but I wouldn't have been able to be supportive of that with a straight face. I'm just not in that zone, man.

Still, stay tuned for my thrilling songs about why I like mechanical pencils or how many M&M's I can eat in an hour, and be sure to support my burgeoning music career.

No comments: