Saturday, April 28, 2007

how we operate

Most of the cleaning that my apartment ever gets is done during commercials, because I don't like to watch commercials, and I don't like to clean (so it's the only space of time I have enough patience to clean). So it's not like I ever form a lot of opinions about commercials, but two have really got me thinking lately:

1) Money Tree commercial--In the commercial, a caterpillar gets in a cab and asks to go to Money Tree. The cab driver looks in the rearview mirror and notes that the guy looks familiar, does he work for Money Tree? The caterpillar says, I might have a hand in some of their advertising. So the driver goes, "man, why do they come up with those crazy caterpillar commercials?" Then we flashback to the caterpillar in the cab directing said commercial. The caterpillar is embarrassed.

Questions I have:
--Why does the cab driver not care that he is driving a caterpillar around?
--Even if he is professionally able to look past the fact that he is driving a caterpillar around, why does he go on to insult caterpillar commercials? If the caterpillar works for Money Tree, it seems like he is probably close to the caterpillar commercials on a personal level (If I were a caterpillar looking for a place to work, I'd go somewhere they celebrated my kind.) and even barring that, it's kind of an insult to caterpillars. So why go there?
--In this world where the caterpillar and man co-exist, what other species have these sort of privileges?
--What does Money Tree actually do?

2) "Lucky You" preview/commercial
This commercial presents scenes from the upcoming film "Lucky You," starring Drew Barrymore and some guy. The guy is a gambler and it looks like there are lots of lessons to be learned about taking a chance both at the table and in love. The main reason I bring up this commercial is just to share how much I hate it, and to share the fact that even though I have never really liked Drew Barrymore all that much, she has officially moved into the Top 5 actresses I can't stand (for as long as this commercial is regularly airing, she will be tied at number one with Jennifer Love Hewitt)

Things she does in this commercial that annoy the crap out of me:
--says "vroom vroom" all cutesy when she hops on the gambler's motorcycle
--says "You know what I think? I think everybody's just trying not to be lonely." I don't even care if that has some semblance of truth to it, I just can't take her tone and expression when she says it, which is...I don't even want to get into it. It just pisses me off.

No comments: