Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Orange and maroon

A few years ago, my brothers and I were home for Christmas, and the whole family went to the nursing home to visit my grandmother. My brother was wearing his Virginia Tech sweatshirt, one of many he proudly owned. We were getting on the elevator to my grandmother's floor, along with this little old couple. It looked like it was going to take this couple quite a while to get from one point to the other, and as if they could easily trip or fall. But I could see the old man eying my brother.

When the elevator stopped at their floor, all of a sudden this old man broke into a jog. He jogged right out of there, turned around, waved his arms in the air, and yelled, "That's how the Hokies do it!" We all laughed and George yelled out, "right on! Hokies!" or something like that.

Now I hope this won't be cheesy, but what I hope is that all VT students, alumni, friends, family, or anyone who just generally feels beaten down by life and by what happened yesterday, will remember the spirit of that old man, and remember the Hokie spirit, because from what I have seen, it is powerful enough to help us all get through this.

No comments: