Thursday, May 28, 2009

It turns out I might be trendy!

A few weeks ago, I was reading a local weekly paper because they had the results of the Reader's Choice Awards, and I just love awards of all types. But these awards were particularly handy since they were about Atlanta, and I figured I might pick up some ideas about neat new places to eat and consume beverages. I was kinda flipping through the non-eating and drinking awards when my eye caught something on the fashion page. And let me tell you, that never happens. I am not terribly fashionable. But there, right beside Andre 3000 (Best Dressed Local Celeb) was the Best Atlanta Fashion Trend, and a picture of a shoe that I had tried on very recently. I gasped, audibly. Was it possible I was fashionable?

The page in question:

A close-up of the evidence:

Basically, this little blurb was saying that shoes called gladiator sandals are the most awesome trend to hit my fair city in the last 12 months, right ahead of something called "statement necklaces." Apparently these shoes go well with everything from summer maxi dresses to jeans to rompers.

This blew my mind because I had tried on shoes like the ones in the photograph not one week before! But I didn't try them on because I knew they were stylish. I tried them on because I thought they looked like the most ridiculous shoes I'd ever seen in my life. No offense if you wear these shoes in your daily life, but they looked so foreign to the kinds of shoes that are in my daily life (mainly flip-flops and sneakers) that I had to have a picture.

These are my feet in the Best Atlanta Fashion Trend:



I talked to one fashionable person who said that the shoes that I am wearing are definitely not gladiator sandals, and I'm not going to argue with that. Still, they look like the shoes in the paper, and they contain all the same elements, by which I mean there's a zipper, a high heel and lots of straps involved. Also, it looks like strippers could wear both pairs.

Plus, you have to admit, the paper was right. These shoes truly go with any outfit:





No comments: