Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Secret I Can't Actually Tell People Yet! (prompt 5 of 7)

As I noted on Thursday, we are in the midst of Children’s Book Week! However, we only have a few days to celebrate, because it ends tomorrow. One of the main ways for celebrating this event, based on my perusal of the website, is to write stories based on prompts that are provided by famous authors as well as people just connected with the event.

So today I sat down and worked my way through all the prompts. I only gave myself 15 minutes to complete each prompt (because I don’t want to shame the kids who might be participating). So what you will find in bold, below, is the prompt given on the website, and then in non-bold, you will see where I decided to take the story. Happy Children’s Book Week!

Prompt Five: “The Secret I Can’t Actually Tell People Yet!” begun by Barbara Park and completed by Molly

Dear first-grade journal,
I’VE GOT A SECRET!
I’VE GOT A SECRET!

Only Mother and Daddy said I can’t actually tell people yet!
But a journal is not even people! And so I am just going to write it in these pages. And that’s all!
Last night, ….


I got to hang out with the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus! It’s because Daddy kidnapped them, and that is part of why I am not supposed to tell anybody. Mother says Daddy is mentally disturbed and that’s why she gave everyone two scoops of ice cream instead of just one. She cried when Miley Cyrus said that she was going to make sure that we went to jail for a long time, and she kept crying because Miley Cyrus just kept talking. Mother has told me before that she finds Miley Cyrus’s voice very annoying!

Miley got mad when I asked how to do the “Achy Breaky Heart” dance that her father is so famous for, but the Jonas Brothers don’t get mad about anything! So far we have played ping-pong, air hockey, and four games on the Wii! I don’t think they even know that they’ve been kidnapped. They just keep asking what exactly it is that Daddy does for Disney. They are always talking to cameras that are not even there and they always ask what time they have to perform. I found one of them in the bathroom with Mother’s flat iron.

Daddy hasn’t done very much since he brought Miley and the Jonases home. He kind of curled up in a ball on the couch for awhile, and then he asked me to bring him my High School Musical DVD’s. He smashed them, but I don’t mind. I’m going to have Miley and the Jonas Brothers act out High School Musical for me everyday! I also have some big plans involving a remake of the Wizard of Oz. Miley will play Dorothy, and the Jonas Brothers will be the scarecrow, tin man, and lion. It is going to be the most awesome thing ever and I am going to be the only one who sees it because this is a big secret! No one but me can know who we’ve got in our basement! Don’t tell, Journal!

Obviously, everyone at school is pretty concerned, and I hear the bigger kids talking about all the rumors that are floating around on the Internet. Some people think that Miley and the Jonas Brothers moved to Utah and all got married to each other, and now they are living out some polygamous lifestyle, whatever that means! Other kids are saying that they faked their own deaths and are out living on an island with Tupac, who is going to teach them how to release posthumous albums, whatever that means.

And the last crazy thing I heard was that some security guard grabbed them at their last concert and is going to sell them on the black market China so that he can pay his mortgage. I don’t mind telling you, Journal, that that rumor hit a little close to home because I know we are having trouble paying our mortgage in the middle of this recession. However, Daddy doesn’t even work as a security guard, because he doesn’t work at all, so I know it can’t be true!

Anyways, after school today I am hoping we can all play some Uno! Hooray for secrets!

No comments: