Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tutu is a Funny Name for a Guy (prompt 4 of 7)

As I noted on Thursday, we are in the midst of Children’s Book Week! However, we only have a few days to celebrate, because it ends tomorrow. One of the main ways for celebrating this event, based on my perusal of the website, is to write stories based on prompts that are provided by famous authors as well as people just connected with the event.

So today I sat down and worked my way through all the prompts. I only gave myself 15 minutes to complete each prompt (because I don’t want to shame the kids who might be participating). So what you will find in bold, below, is the prompt given on the website, and then in non-bold, you will see where I decided to take the story. Happy Children’s Book Week!

Prompt Four: “Tutu Is A Funny Nickname for A Guy” begun by Eoin Colfer and completed by Molly

“Tutu is a funny nickname for a guy,” said Gerry Green Socks, picking his teeth with a chicken’s foot.

“That it is,” agreed Jimmy Tutu mildly, laying back on a sack of grain and rubbing his full stomach.

Gerry consulted his encyclopedic brain. “The only tutu I got is a ballet dancer’s costume. You know, like a bodice and a skirt thing.”

“That’s the one,” said Jimmy Tutu, knowing he was going to have to tell the story for perhaps the thousandth time, wishing Gerry would allow him ten minutes to digest his meal and knowing he wouldn’t.

“So, you gonna tell me,” pushed Gerry, wiggling threatening fingers over his laces. “Or do I have to take my boots off.”

Jimmy sat bolt upright, forgetting all about his digestion. “Hey, no, don’t take them off. I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you.”

Gerry backed his hands away from the boots as though they were loaded, which in a way they were.

Jimmy sighed. “You gotta picture it. Fifty years ago. Europe has collapsed. China invents the timewarp train, and a ten year old plasma thief gets chased into a Broadway theatre…”

“What’s timewarp?” asked Gerry.

“It’s a thing from the future, which is where I’m from, beeyotch!” Jimmy stood up, pulled out his gun and killed Gerry. “Oh, by the way, they call me Jimmy Tutu because it’s a good distracting name for luring in my enemies, catching them off-guard, and killing them. Aren’t you glad you know now?

And with that, Gerry heaved his last breath. Jimmy Tutu set off for the future, where he had a lovely lady waiting for him.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly's note: Sorry, this prompt didn’t really do anything for me. It made my brain hurt. I’m not even sure I understood it.

No comments: