Sunday, February 4, 2007

Book #5: Jane Eyre

The book: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

What is this book about: A poor orphan goes to work as a governess and falls in love with her boss. But a terrible secret stands in the way of her happiness.

Why did I read this book: Because I need to catch up on some classics I missed, and one should probably read Jane Eyre before one turns five-and-twenty.

What did I think of this book: I thought Jane had to deal with a lot of assholes in her life, especially that Mr. Rochester. Also, I think the book needed an editor. Particularly my edition, which every so often had Mr. Rochester calling out "Janet! Oh Janet!" instead of "Jane." Man oh man that made me mad. Shame on you, Tor Classic edition.

That being said, it is a great book, and Jane's emotions could seem very contemporary. Also, I am glad Charlotte Bronte avoided her sister's use of "wandering on the moors" as a plot point, as was done in Wuthering Heights.

What was my favorite part of this book: Probably when Jane was doing something scrappy and independent.

What did I learn from this book: That if you are a poor orphan in British literature, you will likely receive all sorts of happy endings, just by being yourself. Also, don't let the man keep you down, unless it is the man that you are inexplicably in love with.

What grade do I give this book: B-

No comments: