Sunday, April 19, 2009

everything's better on a big screen

Here are two things that are probably only interesting to me:

1. Last night I had a dream that I was supposed to give a speech and I had lost my notes. I don’t know what I was supposed to talk about. Before I went on, someone told me just to speak from my heart, so I got up to the podium and said, “It is a stain upon our entire society that we haven’t found more uses for Cadbury eggs.” Whatever that means. Then, in the same dream, I found out that my stuffed bear Barnabas could lay Cadbury eggs and I was scared he would get stolen. This dream may or may not have been brought to you by some Cadbury eggs I consumed last night.

2. This morning, I sat down on the toilet (hopefully that is not too graphic an image for you) and at the very same time, there was this clattering in the kitchen. I felt pretty bad about myself. Did I weigh so much that by sitting on a toilet I could cause the kitchen to settle? No, as it turns out. It was just the toaster waffles being released with a giant whoosh from the toaster. There were two upsides to discovering this: 1, I was not in fact heavy enough to cause things to clatter, and 2, I had some toaster waffles waiting for me.

Now, on to more pleasant things. Today I had one of my best cinematic experiences, ever. And it probably won’t be topped, so I should just stop going to the movies. Today I went with my friend Katie to the Fabulous Fox Theatre to see my favorite film of all time, Gone With the Wind, on the big screen.

First off, it’s cool enough to do something at the Fox. It is a very neat place. But to see Gone with the Wind there, in recognition of GWTW’s 70th anniversary? Well, that is something else entirely. It was insane to see the movie that large. I kept seeing things that I don’t notice when the movie is on my television. I also noticed that some things were funnier with an audience than when you watch them by yourself. Never have I really laughed out loud at Gone with the Wind, because, you know, an awful lot of bad things happen. But when people started laughing in certain parts, I was like, hmm, this movie can be pretty funny in places. And that just means that this movie has it all….romance, drama, history and COMEDY.

However, the weird thing about seeing this movie with 4800 people was the compulsion that some people had to clap at certain parts. Like when the movie started, people started clapping when the title went across the screen. Okay, I thought, they’re excited and bursting with pent-up emotion and I can deal with this. But then, they kept clapping through all the introductory credits, to the point that I wanted to turn around and be like, you know these people aren’t here, right? The only person still alive from the movie is Olivia de Havilland, who is in her 90s and lives in Paris. Speaking of which, here is one of the most awesome things of the day---Robert Osborne of Turner Classic Movies was there to introduce the film, and he said that this morning he called up Olivia in Paris to let her know that there were two sold-out screenings of the film in Atlanta. And she said, “Oh, I know all about that. I have my spies.” And then Robert Osborne said that Olivia de Havilland sent us all her regards.

When I recovered from the fact that Olivia de Havilland had sent me regards, I had two thoughts. 1--How do I get to be one of Olivia de Havilland’s spies? And 2—How can I get a job that just allows me to introduce movies and call up Olivia de Havilland? I need that job.

There’s not much else I can say about the movie that I haven’t said a million times before, except to reiterate how cool it was to see it on a big screen. Even though people kept clapping at random parts all through the movie, even clapping at weird parts that I still haven’t quite made sense of. Maybe these people were Olivia de Havilland’s spies. Hmmm.

No comments: