Sunday, February 1, 2009

Happy Super Bowl Day

Well, after George and I collaborated on our blog entry this morning (Courtney was in the shower), the three of us headed over to the Varsity, famed Atlanta institution. We made Courtney order since it was her first time there. After a delicious lunch, George and Courtney packed their car and headed home. I tried to do a little exercise to undo all the junk we consumed over the weekend, but as I write this, I figure that might be futile as I’m about to head off to a Super Bowl party. But before I go, let’s see what happened this week in history.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 1

Holy shit it’s February. I don’t know if I’m still logy from all the hot dogs I ate today, but I can’t find anything I really want to write about. Clark Gable was born, but people already know how much I love Gone with the Wind. The “Battle Hymn of the Republic” was published and I like that song, but I don’t have all that much to say about it. This feels like a cheat, since the Super Bowl is on this date again, but today’s the anniversary of the Janet Jackson Nipplegate Super Bowl. So the best thing I can think to say about today is we got an awesome 12 minutes of the Boss coming up tonight.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 2
Man, I’m not finding anything interesting about this day either. So let me just tell you some more things I did with George and Courtney, in addition to the things already mentioned in the other entry: we went to H&M, we went to Jimmy John’s, we went to IKEA, we watched like 8 episodes of “The Girl Next Door,” and we ate some delicious desserts and drank a lot of wine.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 3

Fifty years ago today was the day the music died, meaning we lost Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper. But hey, on this day, we got the births of German composer Felix Mendelssohn, Italian composer Luigi Dallapiccola, French organist and composer Jehan Alain, Quebec singer Alys Robi, British singer Frankie Vaughan, American singers Dennis Edwards, Johnny Cymbal and Shawn Phillips. Plus Japanese musician Yasuharu Konishi. Also we got Dave Davies. And rappers Daddy Yankee and Sean Kingston. So how do you think they feel that today is the day the music died? Also, do you think the day would really become cursed if another singer dies today? I hope no one famous dies today. Tomorrow, I can’t be so sure.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 4
On this day in 1789, George Washington was elected the first President! Then on this day in 1792 he was elected to a second term! So I think a fun thing to do today would be to walk into a place of business and try to purchase something. Then, instead of handing over the money, throw a bunch of one dollar bills in the air and tell the befuddled cashier some fun facts about George Washington. But if you want to save that stunt for Washington’s birthday, that’s probably okay, too, though it will likely be more expected.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 5
It’s always kinda weird when you see someone was born and died in the same week. Or just if their name pops up a lot in a certain week. On this day in history, outlaw Belle Starr was born, but died almost exactly 41 years later on Feb. 3. I prefer if people die after one last birthday, because if it happens in the other order, I wonder what happens to the presents. Though I don’t know what kind of presents an outlaw gets.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 6

Ronald Reagan was born on this day. Will I eat his favorite candy, Jelly Bellys, at this Super Bowl gathering? Likely not, but I do need to stop blogging soon and head over there.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: FEBRUARY 7
Which is why I will tell you ever so briefly that today’s births are quite an esteemed group: John Deere (1804), Charles Dickens (1812), Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867), Garth Brooks (1962), Eddie Izzard (1962), Chris Rock (1965), Ashton Kutcher (1978) and Tina Majorino (1985). An abundance of interesting births brings this lackluster week in history to a close.

2 comments:

Peter W. Mayer said...

Whilst entertaining Sarah last night, I was half-listening to the 70's at 7, a show on a local station up here. Sure enough, someone called in to mention Buddy Holly's untimely death 50 years ago today. And what does the DJ do but start making jokes like "so what? I have to play some Buddy Holly? I have to play American Pie?" I couldn't beleive it. But I also thought, if this information is anywhere, it will be on Molly's blog.

Anonymous said...

two of your cousins were born on Feb. 2...those were good days in history...