Saturday, February 28, 2009

the best of the rest of key west

Well, this is the third and last posting about our stop in Key West on our cruise. I’m kind of amazed I got three posts out of the stop – the whole stay was only a few hours. Key West is definitely some place that I would like to go back to, so I could really get in laidback mode and wander the streets and whatnot. February seemed like a really nice time to go…not too hot.

If it had been hot, I don’t know if we would have made it down to the southernmost point in the United States. We got there by walking about a mile, I guess, down Duval Street. At that point we were only 90 miles from Cuba, which a helpful marker alerted me to. There was a line of chumps waiting to take a picture with the marker, but we just snapped pictures in front of the monument right after the person posing walked away. In my opinion, the people waiting in line were chumps.

The rest of our time in Key West was devoted to walking around, peeking in shops and partaking in the local delicacy of key lime pie. It was a piece of pie put on a stick and then dipped in chocolate, and let me tell you, it was heavenly. The lady in the shop said they had been on Rachael Ray, so take that for what it’s worth.

Right before heading back to the cruise ship, we visited Mallory Square. It’s a famous spot for famous sunsets, but we were setting sail at 2 so you’ll have to use your imagination as to what a sunset might have looked like here. Or, you know, just find a picture of what it would have looked like on the internet.
All around Mallory Square you can hear chicken and roosters squawking. Apparently the chicken and roosters can run free on Key West, something that about half the people like and half the people hate. I think that visually it was neat, but it was hard on my ears.



And that was our few hours in Key West. I leave you with a picture of the sailor I hope to return for one day. Our time together was brief, but our love remains fiery.

No comments: